Tuesday, June 10, 2014

A couple of other things last night.

Last night council president Linda Krug said that people are only allowed to speak once, which I don't ever remember being the case in my 21 years involved in Duluth politics. I can't even count how many times I have signed up to speak on more then one resolution at meetings and it has never been issue.  With that said I think it does need to be with in reason but is a person wants to speak on two or three resolutions they should have that right.  A citizens voice should never be silenced.

The person was allowed to speak, for a second time after that comment. Funny thing nothing was when I spoke for a second time, nor should it have been.  If there is a case that you are allowed to speak at the council meeting once then that needs to be removed now.

This statement also goes for city councilors because president Krug also likes to only allow people who agree with what she wants.  As a conversation goes on and councilors want to say something or add to what they have said, if you don't agree she will say we will move to a vote or use another cop out.

The other thing I found interesting is apparently the council no longer excepts friendly amendments, not sure when that happened.  My question is why not?

2 comments:

  1. The council's been doing stuff behind-the-scenes to supposedly streamline the proceedings, but the way the changes are playing out in real life is that Council President Krug has begun to arbitrarily and capriciously make up rules as she goes along. I couldn't believe when she told Councilor Hanson the other night that he could either ask a question or express an opinion, but not both. WTF? During council meetings, councilors can express as many opinions and ask as many questions as they like, up to 20 minutes per councilor per issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John thanks for stopping in. Yes I agree with you and she needs to get in line or go as president. Yes I have talked to councilors about this and understand that there are things be hind scene.

    ReplyDelete